Friday 29 April 2011

KOKODA TREKS GIVE HELP

I will never forget sitting at Isurava battlefield with the trekking
group when another trek arrived. I greeted them and they sat
on the log with us above the memorial.

One of the new trekkers asked what happened here. I told him
this was the site of the Isurava battle!! He was none the wiser.
So I started telling him and his small party.

Suddenly the trek leader arrived and shouted that they have to get
to Eora Creek camp for the night. He said that there was no time
to waste talking. So they all got up and departed. The point of the
trek seemed to be lost.

I find it is important that there be a camaraderie between trekking
groups on the track. Trek leaders talk to one another at camps.

It is a useful way to gather extra information about military history
and track conditions ahead. We greet one another on the track. A
group in trouble is helped. Many a trekking group has stopped to
help someone from another trek. It may happen to any of us.

The only problem I had was with Dicker treks. On giving reports
to the owner in Sydney I was usually abused and told that I am
never to talk to or help groups. I was never to talk to villagers on
any matter. If groups want help, they pay. I was to have nothing
to do with the villagers, not even first aid.

On one trek, I was sitting at Wa Ule Creek camp when a Dicker
trek came through. I greeted a young man who was tour history
guide.

He asked me about the track ahead until I found he had no idea
of the track. So I sat and explained the track particularly the track
to Lakes Myola. Some trek owners misuse leaders like half-used
biros. They end up using men with little experience as there is no
one left. You'd would think they would learn.

There is resentment in some companies about this blogspot. One
trek owner who climbs Mt Everest in his off months, ordered that
this blog be closed down and that I was a maggot.

More reputable trekking groups are run by good people who have
a sensible attitude to all aspects of the Kokoda culture.

Some trek owners will feel threatened by this blogspot as they do
not want trekkers to know too much. Some are not team players.

25 Mar 2011 ... NO NEED TO DIE ON KOKODA. Trekkers should know
what to expect on Kokoda. ..... Military History Advisor: Well that's all
for the briefing ...
briefingsforkokodatrekkers.blogspot.c... - Cached - Similar

1 comment:

  1. A great post lots of key information.Will come to your post as many times i can.

    ReplyDelete