Sunday 10 April 2011

FELL FOR A WOMAN ON KOKODA

 
About 2 years ago I trekked with a group from Adelaide that was
making a film on Kokoda. I was the military history advisor. We
trekked north-south in a friendly and well trained group.

Australia Network - TV Schedule - Adelaide to Kokoda
Australia Network - TV Schedule - Adelaide to Kokoda.
australianetwork.com/guide/ep_0018038... - Cached - Similar

Adelaide to Kokoda 16 Dec 2010 ... Adelaide to Kokoda.
No. 2, 25.11.10. Highlights of The Heysen. No. 1, 10.10.2009
Kick In For Kids , Kangaroo Island 2009 ...
www.australialivetv.com/troygraydocos... - Cached - Similar


I did my best to help them find the best ways to present the film
from a military history point of view. We had a remembrance
ceremony at Isurava where the porters sang as we gathered at
the memorial.

There were two young camera men who trudged along as sure
footed as two mountain goats clutching their cameras ready for
action. The rest of us needed trekking sticks except the porters
who moved gracefully along with their packs on their backs.

After about a week, we had reached the most dangerous part
of the trek on the downward side of Brigade Hill just across
from the Damian Parer plaque on the boulder in the creek on
the outskirts of Menari.

The track was dangerous and in places was the width of two
fingers of rock. It was raining and we were all wet. I was in
the line behind a young woman as we negotiated the narrow
track, balancing precariously above the creek.

Suddenly she said “ Now you are not going to fall on me are
you Brucie”. She broke my concentration as I looked up to
make a smart comment.

I slipped and fell on my back down the cliff, with a roll over
that found me fifteen metres down in the creek. It was like an
Olympic backward swallow dive and forward somersault.  I lay
on my back in the water while the film director leapt into action.

He shouted “ Cameras get that action”. A trek member jumped
down and bound my head with a bandage. The cameras pushed
in close to catch every grimace of pain and outpouring of blood.

I hobbled out to Menari and stayed the night. It did not seem to
be proper for the trek leader to be evacuated by helicopter so I
kept moving on.

The upshot of it all was that I was film hero for the afternoon.
The documentary has been shown twice on PNG TV over the
last year. I have been recognized all over town. No autographs.

The final result was that the track has been rerouted to avoid
the dangerous sector. We no longer trek past the Damian Parer
memorial but divert to the right down to the creek.

I hope that the film went well. It was about Kokoda and trekkers.
Troy was a well intentioned and organized Director and led the
trekkers well. It was an enjoyable trek despite the mishap.


No comments:

Post a Comment